About This Recipe:
Tired of eating salads? This pastry style spinach and tomato dish adds a new dimension to meeting your daily veggie servings.
With kale stealing the spotlight in the plant-based foodie media we have forgotten about the goodness of spinach as of late. Spinach should still be top of mind when it comes to adding superfoods to your diet because it’s a rich source of folic acid (also known as folate or vitamin B9). It’s recommended that all women of childbearing age intake at least 400 mcg of folic acid a day to prevent neural tube defects which the Centers for Disease Control estimates at an occurrence of 1:3000 births.
Folic acid is not just a concern for ladies, fellas need it too. A study published in peer-reviewed medical journal Human Reproduction noted that this vital nutrient supports healthy sperm development and the body’s use of proteins. Yes, your daily multivitamin does have this vital nutrient but your best bet for optimal absorption is always a food-based source.
Another reason to keep this veg in your meal rotations is that it’s a nutritional powerhouse for cancer prevention. According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, spinach is a source of antioxidants beta-carotene and lutein which may limit the growth of some cancer cells. In this recipe, it is paired with tomatoes (another cancer-fighting superfood) to provide a good source of vitamins A, C, and E which scavenge cancer-causing free radicals.
Healing Kitchen Tips:
Do you pick your spinach by looking at the leaves? That’s good but what’s even better is to check out the thickness of the stems. Thick stems indicate overgrown leaves which means your dish will taste bitter. At the supermarket or farmer’s market, always look for thin stems to cook up meals where the spinach will be tender and juicy.
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure Cane Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 1/3 cups White Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Ghee
- 2 cups Spinach (fresh)
- 2 large Beefsteak Tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups Feta Cheese
- 1 cup Un-Parmesan (see recipe in Un-Condiments)
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- In a large bowl whisk sugar, salt, and flour.
- Slowly add ghee while thoroughly blending ingredients.
- Dump dough onto lined countertop and flatten with rolling pin.
- Drizzle ice water over dough as you flatten it.
- Use a bench scraper to collect it into a ball.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 repeating flattening, rolling, and folding until dough holds together.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- On parchment paper, roll dough out to 12 inches diameter and 1/8 inch thickness on lightly floured surface (avoid cracks).
- Place on a baking sheet and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl mix spinach with feta and Un-Parmesan cheeses.
- Add a cup of filling to center of rolled out dough.
- Evenly distribute filling leaving approximately 1 inch of dough bare on the ends.
- Top filling with sliced beefsteak tomatoes.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush edges of dough with beaten egg.
- Fold sides of pastry inwards.
- Brush the sides with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy for your next brunch!