When you’re between meals it’s tempting to start snacking on a handful of this and that to make it until it’s time to eat. While the quantity you’re snaking on may be harmless, the sugar, salt, and fat content in each bite is what’s going to get you in trouble. That’s why I’ve switched to toasts for my midday munchies. This one is a Chia-Avocado Tomato Toast that I’ve actually put together at my desk. Not only is it filling, it’s also loaded with beautiful nutrition that you will never get from a bag of chips or candy bar.
Here’s the science: Avocado contains Vitamin B5 which keeps essential moisture in the skin and tomatoes contain Vitamin E which supports healthy levels of antiaging glutathione. I sprinkled chia seeds on top for the omega fatty acids which helps to strengthen cell membranes and the skin barrier as well as support brain and eye health. Keep in mind that your body doesn’t produce omega fatty acids. It has to come from your diet. That’s why you should sprinkle chia seeds and other omega fatty acid rich foods like flaxseed, walnuts, and algae into your meals whenever you can.
Here’s how to make Chia-Avocado Tomato Toast:
Chia-Avocado Tomato Toast
- 2 Slices Multigrain Bread (seeded bread preferred)
- 1 Medium Avocado
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 1 Tsp Chia Seeds
- 1 Pinch Pink Sea Salt
- Toast multigrain bread until golden. (Give the sprouted breads sold in the freezer section of health food stores a try!)
- Smash a ripe medium avocado and add a pinch of pink sea salt. Season to taste.
- Spread avocado mash over toast.
- Top avocado with slices of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle chia seeds over toast.