About This Recipe:
Cruciferous veggies like broccoli deserve a spotlight on our plates for their crunch and more important unique nutrition profile. This recipe features a delicious patty version that is an adult upgrade from the cheese smothered broccoli side dishes we devoured as children.
For many of us, broccoli was one of those veggies that we didn’t mind eating growing up. While our palates have evolved to appreciate a wider range of greens, broccoli is one we should definitely keep eating because it’s brain food!
According to Harvard Health, broccoli is a good source of brain healthy nutrients like vitamin K, folate, lutein, and beta carotene. It also boosts your daily fiber intake. Why is fiber so important? As we age inflammation begins to get the best of our brains and bodies and eating fiber rich foods like broccoli allows our gut bacteria to release higher levels of the shorty chain fatty acid butyrate which has been shown to reduce inflammation in the brain’s microglia in multiple studies. Broccoli also contains a powerful sulfur compound, sulforaphane, that appears to support the integrity of neuronal cells.
You can enjoy this brain nutrition from eating broccoli whole or as sprouts (great addition to wraps, soups, and salads)! For this recipe, broccoli is folded into my hemp hearts and nutritional yeast version of parmesan cheese (see Un-Parmesan Cheese recipe in Condiments). You can also top the broccoli patties with a zesty dill and lemon Greek yogurt sauce to turn it into a guiltless pleasure you’ll want to eat as an appetizer or side dish for dinner. Keep in mind that there’s no magic pill or food to prevent cognitive decline. However, eating a superfood like broccoli may be the key to supporting your brain function as you age. Broc on!
Healing Kitchen Tips:
Don’t just eat the florets. The stem of broccoli is very nutritious – about 3 grams of protein, 50 grams of calcium, and more than 300 mg of potassium per 100 gm. Make sure that you blend this part of the broccoli into your recipe.
- 16 oz Fresh Broccoli (diced)
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 medium Eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup Un-Parmesan Cheese (see recipe in Un-Condiments)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Cheddar Cheese Brand of Your Choice
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp Fresh Dill
- 1/4 tsp Juice of Lemon
- 1/4 tsp Olive Oil
- Pinch Cayene Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan. Simmer onions and garlic until translucent. Cool.
- Use paper towel sheets to remove excess moisture from broccoli.
- In a large bowl blend broccoli, breadcrumbs, eggs, Un-Parmesan Cheese, vegan cheddar cheese, onions, and garlic
- Season mixture with salt and peppers.
- Form the mixture into equal size patties and transfer to backing sheet.
- Allow 25-30 minutes to bake flipping patties midway through cook time. Cool.
- Add all ingredients for sauce in a small bowl and blend. Adjust lemon, garlic, and salt for personal taste preference.
- Once patties cool, serve with dill and lemon yogurt sauce.